How to cut tree limbs that are too high to reach?
When tree branches get too close to the building, it is time to trim them. Windblown branches can frequently rub against the surface, it can incise through the shingles and other roof materials, spoil paint, tear down the roof and sidings.
- A pole saw with a 12 foot extension handle or a pruner can be used to cut tree limbs that are too high to reach. If the branches are smaller but higher, pole saw loppers can be used. They can cut a diameter of 1½ inches. The loppers can be placed over the branch and a rope can be used to pull off the branch. Pole saw is simple to use. All you have to do is pull the cord and the blades will do the rest of the work.
- Before analyzing the cut, one needs to see if there is any danger involved. What needs to be done if pole saw gets jammed? Are there any electrical wires that can damage the pole saw? When a limb is cut, where will it fall? Look out for dead or diseased branches.
- Identify the tall branches that need to be cut. Locate the branch collar (where the branch joins the stem) and cut the lower branches before moving on higher branches. Operate the pole saw from the ground as much as possible by adjusting its length. Do not stand under the branch while removing branches as it might fall on you.
- Use a rope to move the saw and place the blade just outside the branch collar. Make a superficial cut just outside the branch collar. Do not cut into the branch collar.
- Then make a subsequent cut on top of the branch, a bit away from the first cut. Cut all the way through the branch which will leave a short stub.
- Cut the stub which should be close to the branch collar. Remember not to cut the collar.
- Do not prune more than 1/4th of a tree’s living branch at the same time. Do not top the crown as it can harm the growth of the tree.
If the tree limbs are too high to reach, it is time to call an arborist from a tree care company. Many tree removal companies hire cranes or rope and a climbing saddle, hand saws to cut branches that are too high. Always check if they have been in the business for a while, check their references, insurance, etc. before hiring them.