What You Need To Know About Stump Grinding and Stump Removal
Cutting down a tree may be needed depending on the situation. For example, a tree should be cut by tree removal services because it can compromise your family’s safety. Also, tree cutting may also be necessary if it’s already in its “dying” stage and does not grow leaves and all over the years. In such cases, it is important to hire emergency tree services to take care of the tree in question.
After the tree has been cut, the stump will be left on the ground. A tree stump can look unsightly in your backyard, so you would naturally consider removing it off as well. However, removing a stump is a different process from simply cutting down a tree.
Aside from stump removal, there is also such thing as stump grinding. Regardless of your choice, it is also important to find an arborist to do the job. But first, you should know the difference between the two, and what the better option is for you to do.
What is stump removal?
Stump removal refers to the entire removal of the tree stump and its roots from the ground. A large gape will be left following the removal process. You can simply refill it with soil, plant a new tree, or put something on it to cover the hole. It has its own set of pros and cons.
First are the advantages, which are the following:
- Removes the stump and its roots completely, hence making the area look cleaner
- It won’t grow again since the roots will be removed as well
- You can replant a new tree on the hole vacated by the removed tree
- Prevents health hazards that can be caused by the tree stump
On the other hand, removing a tree stump has its disadvantages as well. Among these are the following:
- Requires a lot of time and effort to remove the stump and roots
- Leaves a hole after the removal, which can look unpleasant (unless you do something about it after the stump removal)
- May not be recommended by environment-conscious individuals
What is stump grinding?
Meanwhile, stump grinding refers to the process of cutting the tree stump down to the surface of the ground. Unlike stump removal, stump grinding does not remove the roots and is instead covered with soil or dirt. This procedure aims for the roots and stumps to decay naturally.
Like stump removal, stump grinding also has its own set of pros and cons. First are the pros, which include the following:
- Easier to accomplish by professional tree removal companies
- Requires smaller equipment to do
- Takes a shorter amount of time and effort to accomplish
- No holes created that can make your backyard look unsightly
On the other hand, stump removal also has its own set of cons which include the following:
- Sprouts may appear along the stump area (because the roots are still under the ground)
- Presence of unsightly root decays
- Can pose potential health and safety hazards
Why should you do something about your tree stumps?
In dealing with tree stumps, you can consult professional arborist services for the next action steps. It depends on your requirements, but both options can be useful nonetheless. It’s just the matter of which option you will choose. However, it is important to consider doing something about the tree stumps in your backyard due to the following reasons:
- It promotes tree growth.
Unless you don’t want another tree to grow in your backyard, then you should remove the tree stump and its roots immediately. Trees can also affect other smaller plants within the area as the former can absorb more nutrients than the latter. As a result, the latter may wither and eventually die.
- It can prevent health and safety hazards.
Removing or grinding a tree stump can help prevent accidents especially among young children. It can also prevent getting accidentally mowed by lawn mowers that can cause damage to the equipment. Plus, it can help lessen the presence of pests such as termites and ants as well as disease-causing bacteria or fungi.
- It can help improve the overall look of your backyard.
Trees look good in any property, but the stumps do not. It can even cause the growth of fungi and weeds which can greatly affect the appearance of your property.
Hire professional tree removal services near you
That is why you should hire professional tree cutting services to have tree stumps eliminated from your property as soon as possible. Find an arborist in Chevy Chase today.